English is the most-spoken second language in Spain, the poll says, with 27.7% of respondents saying they speak it, followed by French (9%) German (1.7%) and Portuguese (1.2%). … Nearly 36% say that Spain gives little importance to second languages, compared to 16.1% who say Spain is excellent at languages.
Can you get by with English in Spain?
Thanks to English becoming a mandatory school subject, many younger Spaniards speak some English, while the older generations generally do not. While many foreigners who live in Spain do speak English, most locals don’t.
Which English is spoken in Spain?
Spain, much like many other European countries, speaks English as a second language and has over 11 million English speaking residents.
Why is Spain bad at English?
The dubbing plays a large role in Spain where many films, television series or even advertisements are rendered in Spanish, not the original language. Its traditional prominence in cultural life, some scholars believe, is part of the reason Spaniards struggle to learn English.
What parts of Spain speak English?
Some areas where you will find English more widely spoken include:
- Coastal resorts dominated by Brits like Marbella, Torremolinos and Costa Del Sol.
- Islands like Ibiza, Majorca and Tenerife which also receive a lot of Brits.
- Expect most or all hotel staff in these regions to speak English.
What part of Spain has the most Brits?
This area of Spain is said to have the highest percentage of foreign residents of all of Spain’s provinces, and with such a large expat community, Brits feel right at home in Alicante.
How much of Spain speaks English?
English is the most-spoken second language in Spain, the poll says, with 27.7% of respondents saying they speak it, followed by French (9%) German (1.7%) and Portuguese (1.2%).
What are 5 interesting facts about Spain?
Fun Facts About Spain!
- Spain is the only European country to have a physical border with an African country. …
- Spain was the world’s first global empire. …
- Spanish is the world’s second-most spoken native language. …
- Spain boasts the world’s third-largest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. …
- Spain was also influential in Europe.
Is Spanish good at English?
Spaniards do not have a good level of English. In fact, surveys from the European Union’s statistical office, Eurostat, and a report from the foreign language company, Education First, place Spain close to the bottom of the ladder compared to the rest of Europe when it comes to English proficiency.